Central High 1970's!

This blog is to connect all of us who went to school at Chattanooga Central High School in the 1970's! I hope that you will find it interesting and possibly connect to old friends and hopefully also make some new ones! To post your information and pictures, send to the following e-mail: donella.gallo@gmail.com

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tom Hundley Class of 74

This is Tom Hundley from the class of 1974. I am living in the state of FL after having traveled around a bit after graduation from Auburn University. I worked in Chattanooga for awhile, Delaware for a few years, about 10 years in Watkinesville Ga which is just next to Athens Ga, Florence South Carolina and now Lake City FL. I hope to retire here some day unless some tropical island can be worked into the mix.

I have been married now for 27 years to Elaine Runyan. She currently works for a CPA firm and is happy in her job. I have one son Thomas who is 25 and lives in the same town.

I have stayed in the food business since graduating from work and thankfully have a job at least right now. The company I work for right now is in the middle of Chapter 11. The departments I was in charge of have been shut down probably for the next year or so until market conditions improve and I am currently learning a new job. I have a couple of shifts of Price and Weigh departments, one packing crew on second and two shift of shipping I am responsible for now. I am currently trying to learn how the automated robot warehouse works and the two computer systems that control it as well as a couple of others new for me at least, computer systems running on SAP. At the same time I am relearning the product codes and all the team members.

I took up diving while living in Fl and its become my main hobby. I went from an OW student up to Divemaster and since then have gone towards technical diving. I took up cave diving training to get experience in overhead for wreck diving. However the wrecks are a good distance from the part of FL that I live in and I do not get to them often. I fell in love with Cave Diving and have gone through four levels of training for it and many other courses. I am Vice President of The Cave Diving Museum and Library and through the friendship of the other board members have gotten to do dives very few people have ever done. Some of the places have had less people in them than have landed on the moon, I had to learn sidemount diving to be able to do some of these dives and if not for being friends with some of the explorers I would not have had the chance to dive there. Last year I got invited to be a support diver forWeeki Wachee Springs 2008 and hopefully 2009 project. Its the deepest cave system in Fl at over 400 ft deep and just being on the support team is an honor. I will not be one of the primary explorers as it's going to be Closed Circuit divers doing the dives due to the long decompression times. Some of these dives will last over 24 hours. I did get a tour down to 170 into a flow close to that of a fire hydrant. 115 cubic feet per second of water flows at one point through an opening less than three feet around. It was extremely difficult to pull into that flow without having gear ripped off your body and regulators free flowing. How the explorers do their deco stops in that flow is nothing short of amazing to me. I have encluded a link to a video of the 2007 exploration. Keep in mind once int the main tunnel that only a small part of it is being lite up with a light called a death ray which puts out over 1000 watts and it only lights up a small portion of the cave.

I also enjoy taking photos above and below the water and post to Flickr and Facebook. I have started a FaceBook page for the class of 1974 and everyone is welcome to post in it if you like. I really need folks with photos posting them or letting me have some permission to use some.

Tom Hundley

Tomeauburn@aol.com

www.flickr.com/photos/tomhauburn/