Central High 1970's!

This blog is to connect all of us who went to school at Chattanooga Central High School in the 1970's! I hope that you will find it interesting and possibly connect to old friends and hopefully also make some new ones! To post your information and pictures, send to the following e-mail: donella.gallo@gmail.com

Thursday, September 21, 2006




Richard Murray 1974 - 1977



So, how do you cover the last 30 years. I have lived in or around Chattanooga for most of those years. I did spend three years in Michigan after two years at Cleveland State. But, in the last 15 years I have been spending time trying to break into the college coaching ranks. I spent the past two years as the head softball coach at Hiwassee College. That was after fifteen years working in the Cleveland State Athletic Dept. I started with the men's basketball team in the early '90s as an assitant to a friend of mine. After he resigned to go back as an assistant himself at a four year school I became the school's sports information director. Along the way I helped with the softball and women's basketball program, but mostly behind the scenes. That brought us to two years ago when my friend took the men's basketball head coaching job at Hiwassee College and he asked if I would come as his assitant and I accepted. Then they offered me the softball coach's position and both years were a struggle, but I got through and had a positive recruiting class when I got the news that they weren't renewing my contract. You can't get too devastated when they only paid me $4600 for the entire year. I do regret never getting to coach the girls I signed, but that is the nature of college coaching. Now, I am back in Cleveland. I am working in the service industry to pay the bills and I have returned to Cleveland State as the sports information director. More to come later.